The simple solution for consistent, quality results
Truly easy cell sorting is finally available to your lab. Save time with simplified operation and get quality results. The BD FACSMelody™ Cell Sorter with newly added 4-way cell sorting makes the complex world of flow cytometry and sorting accessible to more researchers, enabling deep scientific insights, lab efficiency and cost savings.
The BD FACSMelody Cell Sorter combines proven and exclusive BD technology of high-end sorters with automation and simplified software that takes easy-to-use sorting to a new level.
Simplify the workflow with smart automation
With BD FACSChorus Software, researchers are guided throughout the entire cell sorting process using advanced automation technology. Designed to eliminate manual steps, this smart automation simplifies the workflow, making cell sorting easy to learn, and the BD FACSMelody Sorter easy to use.
With an intuitive user interface, BD FACSChorus Software enables researchers at all skill levels to achieve high-purity sorting with:
- Screens that are dedicated to each single step
- On-screen instructions and tips that display when needed
- Preset data tools to save the user clicks and time
- Instrument management behind the scenes to activate sort controls, monitor sort progress and turn off sort controls when sorting is completed
- Simple to read reports
- Automation makes sorting simple and saves time
Minimal training required for effective operation
Learning to operate the BD FACSMelody cell sorter is easy, regardless of a user’s skill level or experience. To aid in producing consistent results, BD FACSChorus software prompts novice users with step-by-step instructions. It eliminates the need for setting up the sort streams and monitoring the sort, reducing the risk of poor sort outcomes.
Automation of routine tasks
- Typically the system is ready in less than 17 minutes, maximizing uptime.
- Fluidic startup automatically debubbles the stream.
- Sheath pressure, drop drive frequency and amplitude are optimized.
- The sort streams are focused and steered into tubes or plates.
- Instrument settings, gates and sort settings are available and retrievable from saved experiments.
- Compensation is conveniently computed automatically from the results of compensation controls.
- Compensation controls can be labeled capture beads, cells, BD™ FC Beads, or a combination of types.
- Compensation is automatically recalculated when detector settings are adjusted, simplifying operation and saving time.
System anticipates potential issues and identifies root causes
- Filter/mirror units communicate with the software to confirm the optical configuration supports your experiment.
- Stream stability is monitored to detect and correct stream aberrations. If the stream cannot be corrected, sorting will pause and the operator is notified.
- When a sample tube is empty, the sample flow is stopped before bubbles can be introduced into the nozzle.
- Alerts remind the operator to perform maintenance.
- Sorting is stopped when the target number of cells is reached, inhibiting overflowing of collection tubes.
Designed to empower scientific discovery
Simplified operation does not mean reduced performance. The BD FACSMelody System features excellent sensitivity for accurate resolution of low density cell markers and high throughput for collecting rare cells.
With a BD-pioneered optical system, the BD FACSMelody Cell Sorter maximizes signal generation, collection and detection through lasers with fixed alignment and independent focusing.
Detect and sort dim cells and rare cells
- The patented gel-coupled cuvette with fixed alignment ensures that lasers are precisely focused on the sample stream to generate the greatest signal for optimizing the resolution of dim cells and adjacent populations.
- Spatially separated laser beams ensure minimal optical background noise and improved sensitivity from each laser for resolving dim populations.
- The sorter can process many cells quickly to improve the isolation of rare cells.
Optimized system of reagents, software and hardware
- Instrument configurations are optimized for bright BD Horizon Brilliant and BD OptiBuild Reagents.
- Laser and color configurations facilitate multicolor experiments.
- Sweet Spot technology maintains sort stream stability so yield and purity are maintained.
- Using BD CS&T Technology for daily QC ensures consistent performance across all detectors and ensures day-to-day and experiment-to-experiment reproducibility.
- Run once every 60 days, spectrally matched BD™ FC Beads determine spillover values for various standard fluorochromes. The values remain independent of experiment settings and are automatically updated and maintained after QC runs.
- Run any new fluorochrome as a single-color control to add its spillover properties to the software’s list of reagents. The fluorochrome’s spillover can be calculated when setting up an experiment even if different detector gains are used.